What’s glowing skin without pearly whites? There are multiple factors that go into what makes leading ladies stand out. From gym routines to five star facials, to bright smiles... Ever wonder how your favorite role models prep to say cheese for the flash bulbs? ... Here are five tips from D.C.’s top general and cosmetic dentist that will make you smile over your smile!
From his 16-treatment-suite office near The White House in Washington, D.C., Dr. Deutsch notes an Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry survey that found more than 99 percent of Americans consider a smile the most important feature to make a strong impression. And three out of four feel a smile can hinder advancement at work. “That’s why so many of our patients—from top level bureaucrats to high-powered executives to top sports athletes—seek out help to deal with the fact that as we age, our teeth can get up to one or two shades darker, with every passing decade.
“Since the high-wattage smile craze took hold, millions of Americans have lightened their teeth,” says general and cosmetic dentist, Dr. Daniel Deutsch. “And judging by my patients, this trend continues to raise the bar on tooth color. What we called a ‘light’ shade in the past—is considered ‘too yellow’ today. (Ever notice the top movie star smiles in old movies?) “
“The good news is we know much more about the technology of how to whiten teeth, as well as factors and choices that affect the color of our teeth,” says Dr. Deutsch. So, what can you do to turn up the “power-of-white” factor? From the dentist in chief at D.C.'s Washington Center for Dentistry here are five steps to a brighter smile:
- Brush your teeth—the right way—twice a day! Every day. With a good toothbrush. That means using a motorized Sonicare or Philips Oral B—which does a better job that the old hand-held type. We’re talking about higher-torqued plaque removal and healthy gum stimulation. The American Dental Association recommends brushing for at least two minutes. Motorized brushes have built-in timers. Fun Fact: Do you brush your teeth before or after you wash your face? Glamour Magazine took a poll and found that 48% of women brush before they wash, 39% of women wash before they brush and 13% switch it up. Try the Joanna Vargas Vitamin C Cleanser to wash away impurities and make your skin glow as bright as your smile, before or after brushing.
- Floss—at least once a day. Forever. Or switch to a WaterPic water flosser. Many dental offices prefer the science-based advantage of water-pressure cleansing that scrubs effectively between teeth AND below the gum line. After Cleansing and brushing, flossing is a great opportunity to let your serum set in before moisturizing. Try the Joanna Vargas Daily Serum to nourish your skin for a supple, glowing complexion. Follow flossing with the JV Daily Hydrating Cream. These two JV skincare products also happen to be the perfect ingredients needed to combat the appearance of smile lines, as they collectively fight wrinkles from forming, plumping the skin, and protecting the skin from air pollutants and free radicals.
- Professional in-office Zoom Light Treatment offers the most efficient whitening treatment, especially when followed up with an ongoing in-home custom-bleach-tray regimen to maintain the lighter color. With its combination of peroxide and LED light, the Zoom light can make teeth up to eight shades lighter—all in one session!
- Think as you eat. Watch out for foods that stain teeth, like deep-color blueberries, blackberries and beets that leave color on your teeth. Feel free to eat up for health, but brush after eating or rinse your mouth with water. Make sure to eat firm and crisp “detergent” foods that naturally scrub and help clean teeth as they are eaten, like apples, raw carrots, celery, cucumbers, jicama and popcorn.
- Guard your enamel from villainous culprits that can easily make your teeth yellower. Enamel is the precious layer that bestows “whiteness” and “luster” to teeth. Once gone, enamel can never grow back. Think as you drink.
Beware the acid from flavoring in all sodas (even diet) and sport drinks that can thin the enamel layer, leaving teeth looking yellow and dull. (Seltzer and club soda are ok.) Ever notice the darkish teeth of a big soda drinker. The enamel just washes away. Only covering those teeth with porcelain veneers or crowns can restore a lighter color.
Beware the acid in low pH water, especially bottled water! Really. A pH of 7 is “neutral,” more than 7 is (preferred) “alkaline,” and less than 7 is “acidic.” Each pH number below 7 has ten times the acidity than the number above it. Tooth enamel can erode at or below 5.5 pH. Patients are always surprised to learn that often tap water is less acidic than bottled water. For example, New York City’s 6.8 pH tap water clocks in at a much safer level than the 3.4 pH of Propel Fitness or 3.0 of Dasani! Essentia Bottled Water hits the Alkaline Jackpot at 9.5 pH!
BIG WARNING ABOUT ACID: “If you eat or drink anything acidic, do not brush immediately after,” says Dr. Deutsch. “In an acid environment, you will literally begin to brush your enamel away. It’s best to first rinse your mouth thoroughly with water.“
Alkaline Water & Your Skin: Hydrated skin is youthful skin. It's that simple. One must stay hydrated if they wish to have supple skin and alkaline water is key. Alkaline water also contains anti-aging antioxidant properties and is ultra-rejuvenating for the skin. So drink up! If your skin is feeling extra dehydrated, take a moment of relaxation to wear the Joanna Vargas Forever Glow Sheet Mask. The name pretty much says it all. This face mask will give you an at home spa experience that will hydrate and firm your skin due to its powerful ingredients including antioxidants, vitamins and skin-loving nutrients.
Keep your teeth and your skin shining bright for the ultimate glow up this Spring!]>>